Skip to main content

When Tattoos Take Over


There are one hundred and one things I'd like to say about this picture, but let's start with the obvious: that second fellow in line looks a whole damn lot like Daniel Radcliffe, right? What is that boy doing with ink all over his body and a fetus in his britches?

I want to stop there--I really do. But it'd be hard to move on without noting that the guy up front must feel weird about his bare leg. And if he doesn't, I do. Could that explain his awkward posture? Perhaps he's explaining to Daniel that he can't afford to finish his leg because he spends so much money on women's razors to keep his armpit hair shaved--so you can get the full effect of his underarm ink.

I'll admit, I've bought a few shirts and dresses based primarily on the fact that they showcase my tattoo--a pomegranate tree on the left side of my chest. Nothing too low cut, too revealing. But still. When I got it, I wanted it in a place people would see; otherwise, what was the point? Such are the thoughts of a twenty-two year old.

But these men? One has to wonder if they have those skimpy underpants just because, or if they were purchased especially for this event. Which, by the way, is what? What exactly have they all signed up for that affords them the chance to stand in a line of men wearing string bikinis? I can't help but wonder how the next convention's guests would feel if they could only see the butts that occupied the seats just hours before. Hepatitis comes to mind...

I'll be honest--I like my ink. I think it's artistic and charming and I don't really give a damn if you don't agree. But there's something uncomfortable about the thought that my little tattoo affords me some kinship with these gentlemen. A mural starts with one brushstroke, and that makes me in for a penny.

Am I in for a pound? Does the pencil drawing I carry in my purse--a silhouette of myself in tree pose that I intend to have inked on my spine--get me one dangerous step closer to a drawer full of banana hammocks? Can girls even wear banana hammocks?

Which begs this final question: where are the girls? Consider it, men. Consider it wisely. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...