Skip to main content

Grandma Knows...Stuff

Now before I post this picture, I want to give it the context it deserves. Here are the things you need to know. I have a grandmother. I wouldn't say we're close (because we're not--neither geographically, nor relationally), but we get on when we're in the same room. No one would accuse Grandma of being overly sentimental, but she has sent me many hand-sewn flannel pajamas and cigarette-flavored Christmas cookies over the years, and treated me well on the scant occasions our paths have crossed.

Because of the distance between her and her children (I'll let you decide if that's geographically or otherwise), Grandma is a letter writer. That's something Grandma and I are of a mind on; we like licking envelops and trekking to the mailbox. For all my GF friends out there, don't worry. I don't actually lick the envelopes; I know better. Anyway, Grandma and I write--not to each other, of course; unless you count the occasional thank-you card. We write people. Our own people. I send cards, mostly because cards make me laugh and it's not easy to get a laugh these days. I fill them on both sides and often the back with what my card-recieving friends would term illegible gibberish. But I then stuff the envelope with pictures of Justin Bieber (SP?) or torn out recipes or articles--something to give my post a little gravity.

Grandma, though, she goes old school. Which makes sense because she graduated from that school in 1902. She has a typewriter. You want to call her hipster, don't you? But unless you mean that her hips are brittle and she should get her mustache bleached, you're wrong. She'd just a relic of the past and I really, really like that about her. Or I did before I read my mother's mail. I wouldn't usually do that, but when a person sees his or her own name in a typewritten letter, one wonders if one has kicked the wrong can and traveled back in time. One must investigate. Perhaps one should have minded her own business.

Please enjoy the following paragraph:


For the record, I have a social life all year round. But my grandmother, like her daughter after her, can't seem to bring herself to call someone's boyfriend her boyfriend. There are a dozen or more euphemisms I've heard over the years to avoid this strangely offensive term, but "social life" is a new one on me. And I'll be honest. I love it.

Grandma's right to lament that my "social life" is a part-time engagement. He's a hotshot for the forest service (hotshot is a job title, not bragging rights), and that means he's gone for fire season--approximately half the year. That half of the year just started this week, so I'm sure you'll witness my slow decline into social-lifeless insanity over the coming months.

What I love most about all this is the practicality of the elderly. My grandmother was married to the same man for roughly 200 years, and he was a stable man who provided as well as any man could for six children and a wife. He had plans for when he was too old to be a major carpenter--he became a minor carpenter and crafted all kinds of fabulous things out of wood, some of which I am lucky to have been the recipient.

In truth, my grandma and I don't really know each other. I can count on one hand the number of times I've spent with her when I was old enough to remember. I'd be lying if I said I thought she liked me. But after reading this letter, I'm not so sure. For whatever reason (probably because every woman her age has a touch of nostalgia for the Peyton Place lifestyle), she seems to have taken an interest in me of late. I don't know if I can convince her to type me a missive of my own any time soon, but I'll keep rifling through my mom's mail. It's as practical a way as any to stay in touch. And if I know my grandma (I don't), she's a practical gal.


***A post script to readers: 
If the the hyperbole and sarcastic voice weren't enough of an indication...I'm kidding. My grandmother is a lovely woman, and I'm only poking fun at her because that's what writers do. I mean no offense to her or to any grandmother out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...