Skip to main content

I Might Have Grown Up in the Bible Belt, But Evolution is Obviously a Thing

"Evolution?" you say. "That seems like a bit of a touchy subject with which to reinvigorate your short-lived blog," you say.

To which I respond, "When did your grammar get so good? Your avoidance of ending that sentence in a preposition was masterful."

But you're right, of course. I didn't start blogging (see those THREE posts I wrote nearly a year ago) to stir up pots. I started blogging to, um, listen to myself talk in a whole new forum. The fact that some of you out there also listened was a delightful development. Not delightful enough to keep me blogging, evidently. And for that I apologize.

In truth, if not for evolution, my life as a blogger would likely have been over for good. Two-year-olds generate an alarming amount of work, as do college students. Whatever worms of time I don't chew and feed to those greedy birds, I try to spend cutting my nails (sometimes I can even get a whole hand done in one sitting), unloading the dishwasher, or breathing.

As satisfying as those activities sound, I sometimes crave more. It is during these times I contact my pal Ricka. We communicate in all the ways--text, phone, Skype, email, Facebook. We even have a joint board on Pinterest, and a thriving letter writing campaign (actual stamps on actual envelopes sent via Pony Express). 

You're probably thinking, "You two must have a whole dang lot to talk about!" Whether or not that's true isn't the point. The point is, we talk. And all that talk generates thoughts. Some of them are useless. Some are downright ridiculous. Most are awesome on one plane or another. Then there are the thoughts that are brilliant--the ones we promise to needlepoint on pillows (although neither of us needlepoint, and I'll admit right now I don't even know what the activity entails).

You've probably already figured out that evolution was the topic of one of these brilliant conversations, but did you know it was so brilliant we made it our joint New Year's Resolution? You can decide for yourself what it really means to evolve as a person, but for me, it is an all-encompassing endeavor that eventually led to dusting off the old blog and writing this post. To be followed by more posts (more than three, I hope). I already have a list of possible topics, which I'll entice you with now:

Social media restraining orders?
A list of things that have seen me naked
Original sentences (these are always hilarious)
Picture log of my trip to the world's biggest rocking chair
Lengthy review of [insert book only I would read]
Letters from grandma

Ricka also started a blog--one that will actually have something to do with evolving. Please go read it too, at allthatscintillates.blogspot.com. I hope you note that we have such great conversations because we're really different people. Her voice is unique and genuine--a nice break from my harpy musings :) Follow us both and join us in our endeavors to evolve--even if you're from the Midwest. I'm sure even G-d is cool with what we're up to. No monkey business at all...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...