Skip to main content

A List of Things That Have Seen Me Naked

  • The stuff in my fridge
  • Page 42 of Parenting magazine (actually, that just saw me topless)
  • The carwash on 287
  • My crappy fan
  • The shower curtain at the Sheraton
I mean, that's obviously an incomplete list. And this is obviously a topic that doesn't have wings. But it made you open this post, didn't it? I have to give full credit to Ricka (allthatscintillates.blogspot.com). When we were talking about starting blogs, she suggested this as a possible post and I couldn't resist her brilliance. I've got a new FB page for Life As a Pearl (please like it!). If you were feeling awesome, you could go there and post a comment with something that's seen you naked. Make me laugh.

Ok, enough fun. There's nothing funny about nudity. Except for the time my elderly next door neighbor asked if she could garden topless if she got her breasts removed. That was funny. If it were up to me, Florence could have skipped the mastectomy and just gone for it. But for whatever reason, lawmakers have yet to consult me on indecent exposure laws.

In a tragic irony, a few years after Florence posed that question, she developed breast cancer. She was the healthiest person I ever knew. Healthy in the way that made you dread meals at her house because the meatloaf would actually be made of flaxseed and barley, and the cake was all carob and agave nectar and sunflower seeds. She loved her body in a genuine, pure way. But her body didn't love her back.

I never did see Florence garden without her shirt on--I was grown and gone by the time she started and finished her fight. But I like to think she did. In my mind, I see her wandering between the rows of tomatoes, her head, chest and feet bare as the day she was born. 

People say they don't like to remember their loved ones how they look when they're ill; but Florence was a lovely, dignified woman--with or without breasts. I choose to picture the woman whose body has been stripped because it makes it easier to see inside. Inside, Florence was funny. She was a rebel. She juiced things that shouldn't have been juiced. She dyed her hair a few years longer than she should have. She got altitude sickness and she played one hell of a game of nurts. And for a girl without much in the way of grandparents, she was the perfect grandma living right next door.

I don't know why we just went there. This promised to be a funny blog, and I didn't quite deliver. But please, don't hesitate to have a little chuckle if you drive by Florence's house and see the faint shadow of a topless woman in the cornstalks. If you take a moment to listen, you'll hear her laughing too. (At my mom's shorts. She's definitely laughing at those shorts.)

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...