Skip to main content

Mom. MOM. Mom, mom, mom, mom MOM!!! Mom.

Right now, I mean at this exact moment, my daughter is shoveling Kix cereal into her mouth. There is juice dripping off her chin. She has one kix (or is it a kick?) lodged in her post-nap afro. She is breathing   really, really loud through her mouth because she has a stuffy nose. And as busy as she is with all that, she's also saying over and over, "I want play game on dat. I want play game on dat. Mom. Mom, mom, mom. I want play game on dat."

She is not going to get to play game on dat. Dat is my computer and dat doesn't even have any games. I have no idea what kind of fun she imagines happens on this machine, but she's wrong. I work on here, and work is the opposite of fun. And even if I had 107 kid-oriented games, I wouldn't let her play them because I'm mean. Or at least that's what I'm sure she thinks.

But here's what I think:

I think three year olds are old enough to entertain themselves for more than three seconds at a time.

I think I'm overqualified to fetch cereal and wash hands and change clothes all day long.

I think reading the same book 5 times in a row probably is important developmentally, but I'm still going to burn that thing in my fireplace after she goes to bed. My apologies, Louisville Public Library.

I think cuteness, even sweetness, isn't always a match for exhaustion.

I think. Scratch that. I know I need a break.

But where could I possibly go that would be better than this?


Please don't say Wyoming. That would be demoralizing.

Comments

  1. Kimberly...this is wonderful. Why am I just now getting it?
    Miss you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who are you unknown? I'm 100% sure I miss you too, but who ARE you?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...