Skip to main content

Nothing Says "I Love You" Like...

...this guy


At least that's what I must have thought last year, when I took this picture as an homage to Valentine's Day.

Now before you go judging me, I spent that auspicious holiday with two of my very best friends, and neither of them was charmed into my bed with this token of affection. Dummies.

Even though his message is lewd and his eyes are a little wonky, I rather appreciate this guy's frank approach to a holiday that has been forever fraught with mixed Hallmark messages and trite platitudes etched into hearts with expiration dates.

Somewhat like the grinch, this guy's holiday comes without chocolates, it comes without flowers. It comes without jewelry and cards. But it comes, perhaps, with cold showers? I mean really. I can't imagine anything, heart or otherwise, growing three sizes at receiving this message.

Whatever. It's no big deal to me how people want to mark this day. I, for one, will be in the hospital this year. It doesn't sound that great, but it'll be a day dedicated to showing people I love how much they mean to me, and that's the way I like to spend Valentine's Day.

As I mentioned, last year I spent February 14th with two of my besties. We met in Austin for a girl's vacation, and we dedicated the time to working out differences,


strengthening our commitments to each other,


marking our bodies as proof of our affections,  


and promising each other we would do anything for love,


except that. We won't do that.

So you see? There's no reason to hate on this holiday. Nor is there any reason to put too much stock by what you do or don't receive from a loved one. Valentine's Day doesn't have to be about champagne and roses (well, maybe it should be about champagne because champagne is delicious). But it is a special day.

It's a special day because it provides an excuse to tell the special people in your life, 


It's a special day because even if you don't have a significant other,


and that's something to celebrate.

So join me in reframing this lover's holiday. 


Claim it as a holiday for people who love, for people who you love. And go ahead and say the things you don't say on the other days of the year because you aren't brave enough or you just don't take the time. You just go ahead. Even if all you find that all you really have to say is...

Is there really any better way to sell chicken?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...