Skip to main content

When the Dog Bites

It may go without saying that B.J. Novak is a damn genius. But let's go ahead and say it anyway. Because I already did.

In concert with some other brilliant minds of our time, Novak (are you reading his short stories, people? He's so good!) has come up with an app that truly ought to curl my toes. Curl them right up like whichever wicked witch got smooshed by a house.

The List App

I hate lists. Like super duper hate them. Know why? Because they're always about stuff I have to do. Or stuff Eric hasn't done. Or stuff that won't buy itself or appointments that won't be canceled. Yuck!

But The List App has taken that ugly reality and turned it on its head. It exists for the fun of lists. The fun of lists? What could that possibly be, you ask. Um, get on The List App and check it out for yourself.

Mostly, all I've done on there so far is followed some people (B.J. Novak) and started a list I haven't finished. Also I've written this post, which will hopefully inspire you to get on that app! And then follow me (ironsmadon) so I can follow you and we can read each other's inane lists.

Let me be clear: I don't condone listing. It's an ugly, ugly habit that results in rumpled sticky notes lying about the house and pencil-smeared paper scraps floating around in purses.

But this is clean. It's fun. It's oddly soothing. So get yourself on there and do something useless for a few minutes. Because why not?

1. Because you have a job.
2. Because you, too, hate lists.
3. Because you are not inclined to share your innermost thoughts in bulleted form.
4. Because you're dumb! [This is a great idea. Get on it.]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

A Rush of Gratitude

I know this will be an unpopular opinion among my peoples, but upon his death I am forced to reflect on a certain degree of gratitude I feel for Rush Limbaugh.  I grew up listening to him from the back seat of the car. My dad would tune in to his AM station all the way across Kansas, often turning it up loud to make out his words through the static. From a very young age, Rush's program taught me to question the adults—the "experts"—around me. I would hear his words and think to myself: That can't be right. Those words sound like hate, not love.  My childhood was confusing. Whose wasn't? I spent a lot of time trying to parse all the mixed messages in a brain that really wasn't sophisticated enough to do that kind of work. As a result, I often felt confused. Out of place. A disappointment to the people I was supposed to be pleasing.  But all that melted away whenever I heard Rush speak. Even through the static I could hear a message loud and clear: "Resist...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...