Skip to main content

Out on the Edge of Darkness

I'm not a big fan of writing about controversial topics. I don't like to post things on Facebook or my blog that invite discourse. Not because I don't enjoy discourse. I do! But because I don't believe people really talk on public forums--I think they fight.

I don't want to fight. Not about who should be the next president, not about gun control, not about human rights, not about terrorism. I don't want to say anything that will cause someone I care about to rear up and tear a deeper hole in the fabric of our society, just because we happen to disagree.

But as I continue to process the latest casualty of hate, I can't not say that I'm devastated. I'm so sad for the lives lost and the lives forever changed by one man's interpretation of what the world should really look like. Imagine the darkness he must have lived in, that what we perceived to be freedom and beauty looked twisted and evil to him.

I'm not asking you to put yourself in his shoes or give any shits at all about the way this manic saw the world. I'm just thinking it might be good to remember that there's a disease in there that distorts what is real and what is good. A disease we do not all live with. We do not all have other-dysmorphic disorder (I just made that up)--a condition that causes us to see the other not as a reflection of ourselves, not as a human being, but as a monster that must be destroyed before it destroys us.

You and me? We don't suffer from that, OK? We don't suffer from that at all. We are good and we are kind and we care about each other and we care when a life is lost to violence. Some of us can empathize with these victims and the rest of us can at least sympathize.

We don't have other-dysmorphic disorder, but we sure do like to engage in conversations that tempt us to mimic the symptoms. We suffer the impulse to make deaths political. We suffer the impulse to choose a side. We suffer the impulse to throw religion and rhetoric and "rights" at a wound that won't be healed by any of these rift-ripping efforts to engage.

I don't have an answer to how to solve that, except to suggest that we just stop. Let's just stop trying to make a statement. Let's remember we have minds fully capable of loving and touching any other human being, regardless of race, religion, gender identity, political party, etc. Let's not conveniently choose to forget that we have been gifted with this capacity at exactly the moment when it matters most.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...