Skip to main content

Ode to Ennui

Some years back, my friend and I discovered the word ennui. I don't mean it hadn't been in our vocabulary up that point. We were grown women. I had a child. We'd heard of it. But by some miracle, we hadn't experienced it yet. Or if we had, we didn't know it.

But suddenly, there we were. Both in the throes of ennui—our only relief the bougie label we could attach to the feeling. Ennui felt grander than the doldrums or good old fashioned boredom with life. Ennui felt like something one could declare over a martini. Something one could use as a proper excuse for failing to bring a gift to a party. Or show up to the party at all. Something one could succumb to.

I'm not positive, but I think our mutual delight with the word itself pulled us out of the pit of despair. We enjoyed the idea of ennui so much that suddenly we had something to live for again. And when one has something worth living for, it's not such a leap to acknowledge that one has many such things.

OK. Sharp turn ahead.

You know when you've stubbed your toe and you're certain it's broken, the pain is so unbearable? You know that feeling? Then one day you actually break your toe and you realize how wrong you were about all those stubbed toes?

I'm pretty sure that's what happened with me and ennui all those years ago. A few lifetimes into this pandemic, I think I'm ready to admit that the ennui of my younger days was nothing but a stubbed toe. Excruciating for a moment, but treatable with a stack of sticky notes (that's a whole other story).

I had no concept of pandemic ennui. No idea that one could become so frightfully bored. So utterly boring. I couldn't have imagined that where doubles ennui was affirming and almost fun, mass ennui would be oppressive and just, like, a real bummer man.

If you're getting the impression that this blog post is headed in the direction of offering some kind of relief or advice about pandemic ennui, let me stop you right there. I've got nothing. I'm too listless and full of flop-myself-on-the-chaise-lounge energy to have ideas. All I've really got is my favorite quote that, frankly, has come up too many times in my writing:

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

If ever there was touchstone for sufferers of ennui, this Chekhov quote is it. If you're one of those folks who enjoys a Live. Laugh. Love. sign in the living room, might I humbly suggest a little switcharoo? I think we could all use a little less empty encouragement and a lot more bitter (but artfully written) truth on our walls.

So that's it. If you, like me, have succumbed to pandemic ennui, I see you. The day-to-day living is wearing me out too. It's not a crisis, this ennui. If it were a crisis I'd know what to do with it. I'd spring to action because that's how I'm built. 

I'm just bored with myself. If you're bored with yourself too, we should get together for some doubles ennui. Not like actually get together. There's a pandemic on. But I could send you some sticky notes in the mail that might put some wind back into your sails. Because heaven forbid you end up in the doldrums. At the very least, let's succumb to something classy.

Comments

  1. Sure would enjoy more of your pearls, KimberSue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

When Your Daughter Isn't Turning Into You, But You're Turning Into Your Mother

And by you , of course   I mean me . So here's the story as it has been told to me over the years. For reasons that were undoubtedly religiously motivated, my mom decided she was going to home school my brother and me. She started with Jesse at whatever early age because he was reading in the womb and dividing cheerios in his highchair and blah, blah, blah. It was so much fun and he was so smart and remember the time he related the word sequel to the  Back to the Future series?! What a genius! What pure joy to watch this child learn! And then I came along. There are no stories about my great mental prowess, my clever anecdotes. There is only one story. The story that ends quite abruptly at, "And then I enrolled you both in school." Thinking on it now, I'm not sure we can even call it a story. It's really just a crude reenactment of a poor young child struggling to read the word bug . "B-U-G. B-U-G. You kept saying the sounds, but you just couldn't put...

We're Off to the Icecapades! And Other Roads Paved With Cold Tears.

You know how your Great Aunt Margaret always looks at your baby's long fingers and says she's going to be a piano player? And how that guy bagging your groceries always tells you your slightly-taller-than-average boy is going to be a basketball player? Or how, when you accidentally leave the scissors on the counter and your toddler gets ahold of them, she's going to be a Monster Truck driver for three months because of that sweet mullet she gives herself? Well...I've got a long-legged African baby. And let me tell you, folks, she's destined to be a runner. At least that's what I've been told by no less than three thousand people in the last two years. If qualifying for the Olympics happened based on popular vote of the people, Ayana would have run last year. It would have been a staggering disappointment for Americans everywhere, but she'd have been there. (Shut up, fact checkers. I know the summer Olympics didn't happen last year.) But here...

One in One Hundred and Eighty Million

Them's are the odds my surgeon quoted to me as I sat in his office, an alarmingly thick tube up my (now proven) broken nose. That's how incredibly unlikely it was that I would come to him to remove a benign parotid tumor, and he would diagnose me with thyroid cancer. One in one hundred and eighty million. His suggestion? Start buying lottery tickets, honey, because winner winner, chicken dinner. Are there better ways to tell people you love that you have cancer than write a blog post? Most assuredly. So please, all of you who are reading this and wondering Why didn't she tell me ?, accept my apology. It's not because you don't matter; it's because I haven't figured out the protocol yet. There's never a right place to drop it into conversation. You: Yeah, work was really lame this week. I was in early and stayed late every day. And now they want me to work on Saturday! Me: Man, that sucks. I have cancer. You: I'm going to get a bikini wax f...